"Dedicated to everyone who wonders if I'm writing about them. I am."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Says Saint.

This one wont come in as a shocker. It's nature. The bright sunlight in my face making me squint, the faded-green of the grass, the cool air as it blows away wisps of hair off of my face. The red swing that reminds me of a hot afternoon in New Jersey: kicking the ground beneath us, leaning back a little too much, letting our hair touch the ground. Shanzay I miss us. But as I close my eyes, I can feel it. I can relive it through nature. It never changes: the sun and the stars, the sky above us, the ground beneath us and the air around us. Yet it changes so much. Nature is a time machine in itself. This very winter afternoon is my ride today. Either it's mums kindergarten class, this swing, the school building, or children? Maybe it's the mere essence of this afternoon. Whatever it may be, it reminds me of a long ago childhood.
You never read my blog. Not even when I beg you too. I know it doesn't interest you whatsoever. But I really wish you'd read this one.
I want to be a kid again with you. Back when I'd laugh at somebody in their face just because something stupid seemed funny. Back when Barbies clothes mattered to me more than my own. Back when a quarter and a candy machine was all it took to make my day. Back when hurt could be forgotten in a matter of seconds. Back when daddy rode us to school and mama was a little too enthusiastic about our bedtime.  Back when I'd scream at the top of my voice simply at the sight of a cat.. Wait, I still do that :o
The point is, scabbed knees are easier to mend than  broken hearts.
I let go of that kid in me a little too early. I had to. Because I wanted you to live like one for as long as you liked. I grew up trying to divide the hurt among us, trying to steal as much of it as I could. Because I owed you. For every single one of those memories of my childhood. For you I'd do it again. A million times over. Know why? Because, of all people, you were the first one to proof-read my silly little stories. The only person I let pull my hair. You were my first best friend. Even though you never let me do your hair, it was on your head that I learnt to make ponytails.
So today as I sit here, I miss our childhood together. So this one I wrote to Thank you.

Sorry Ehab, I got distracted. It's nature that inspires me to write. Next hang out? Erm, see you at the mountains?

No comments:

Post a Comment