I did not stop talking, aware of the fact that he was trying to stare a hole in my face. He wasn't beautiful. Not even close. Very expectantly average. The details of his face sunk in: His features, posture, height, and his ogling eyes that never left me, showed signs of insomnia.
".. and maybe I thought I didn't know but I did! I was so stupid, you know? But I'm over it so it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. And, don't stare."
And now I met his gaze. He didn't look away and I held onto it- I've missed you so much look- and my intention bounced off of my eyes and hit his face. Obviously, I was uncomfortable. And obviously he was awkwardly inconsiderate. And just when I thought he would never, he looked away to his right, smiling to himself as if in agreement. And then he spoke, now looking down at his shoes in blunt denial.
"I'm sorry. It's just fascinating."
"What is? "
His eyes greeted mine again and I read his mind.
"Um, it's fascinating; your inability to let other people talk. Could you turn your energy down a notch or five so the rest of the world can try to keep up with you?"
"Yeah yeah. Ever occurred to you that maybe you're just slow?"
We both laughed out loud, remembering this very same conversation the first time we met, except that now it meant something different. He moved toward me and grabbed me in a hug. At one point I used to think that nothing in the world could, but right there he made up for all those past months.
No comments:
Post a Comment