If I could write a letter to me and send it back in time to myself at 17, first I'd prove it's me by saying look in your closet there's a champagne bottle sticker no one else would know you hid. And then I'd say I know it’s tough when people hurt you. All I can say is pain like that is fast and it's rare. But I know at 17 it's hard to see past Friday night.
When mum and dad fight, stay in your room and plug in the earphones, in an hour they’ll be fine. When it gets worse, don’t cry. And still you feel like there's a knife sticking out of your back and you're wondering if you'll survive. You'll make it through this and you'll see that you're still around to write this letter to me.
Always stop after one glass of coke. And on that afternoon in 12th grade, don’t have two Popsicles at one time. On second thought forget it- that was kinda cool. And don’t spend all your money on a prom dress. Tempted to wear those six inch heels? Don’t.
Each and every time she gives you her long lectures just assume you're wrong and mum’s right. And you should really thank her. She spent so much extra time. But I know at 17 it's hard to see past that one night.
Always stop after one glass of coke. And on that afternoon in 12th grade, don’t have two Popsicles at one time. On second thought forget it- that was kinda cool. And don’t spend all your money on a prom dress. Tempted to wear those six inch heels? Don’t.
Each and every time she gives you her long lectures just assume you're wrong and mum’s right. And you should really thank her. She spent so much extra time. But I know at 17 it's hard to see past that one night.
Tonight's the concert but you're staying home instead because if you fail Math mom and dad will kill you. Trust me you'll squeak by and get a C and you're still around to write this letter to me
You've got so much up ahead. You'll make new friends. You should see Mariam and Shahrose. And I'd end up saying have no fear. These are nowhere near the best years of your life.
I guess I'll see you in the mirror. When you're all grown up.
I wish you'd study. I wish you'd take French classes. I wish you'd listen to Brad Paisley more. I wish you wouldn't worry, let it be. I'd say have a little faith and you'll see.
p.s - Go hug Nahal and Mujtaba every chance you can.
From,
You.
From,
You.
I love these letters to oneself... They let out the real you... I had a couple during my days as well... :)
ReplyDelete